OK.. some of you know I’m researching cars because it will soon be time to say good-bye to my beloved and world-famous MaineI30 2000 Infiniti i30tr.
I hadn’t thought a Volvo would fit – never felt like their brand really aligned with what I’m looking for in a car. Great cars, but not my style. Then, the great Lord Randall, famed for his award-winning work at 5.1 Entertainment, suggested the relatively unknown S60R turbocharged racer .. and it has certainly caught my eye. It meets most of my requirements (with the added bonus of value – actually being worth its sticker price) so it has been added to the “short list,” which now looks something like this:
- Audi RS6 (my favorite, but at the moment it’s more than I want to spend)
- Volvo S60R
- BMW M5, but the used ones within my budget have the older electronics and have undoubtedly been driven very hard – and the RS6 has AWD, a big benefit
- Audi S4
- Mercedes AMG CLK55 or E55
- Infiniti G35 (just looks fun, but probably too small and racey)
- Lexus GS430 (if they do an AWD this fall)
- BMW 545 6-speed (nice, but hideously overpriced)
- Infiniti M45 (A solid sedan but currently very ugly. If it looks like it should for ’05, I’m tempted.)
I’m looking for something fast and fun to drive – tons of power but relatively subtle. And (although the Audis belie this) of course, I am seeking serious quality and reliability – I want to drive it, not a loaner while it’s in the shop for the fifth time in a month. That’s my primary reluctance about the Audis.
I want a sports sedan that the trained eye knows is something special, but doesn’t really scream “racer boy” or “mid life crisis.” So, something young and aggressive but understated. A 4-door sports sedan. AWD strongly preferred. 5 or 6 speed (or a fantastic tiptronic) is mandatory – prefer a stick. It must be a serious car that can be driven seriously and pushed to the limit. As many of my friends know, driving is a sport for me and I drive very aggressively … and enjoy it tremendously. I am not the type who buys a car for flash and drives it 25 mph three miles, in traffic, to work and back. I race them when I can, I chirp them between gears, I take corners in them as if I’m running from the cops (sometimes I actually am), and once in a while I’ll even flip or total one just to keep myself humble.